The New Year compels people to do a lot of reflecting, including on their banking. Questions like, Am I spending too much on maintenance fees? Am I saving enough? Can I get a lower interest rate on my mortgage? are all common questions. If you ask yourself these questions, and your conclusion is that you need a better way to bank this year, consider joining a credit union. Here are 5 reasons why you should:
1. Top-notch customer service. Credit unions are able to offer personalized, responsive customer service because as a not-for-profit financial institution, they aren’t gunning for sales quotas nor are we keen on high interest rates. Credit Union’s simply want to help you manage your money as well as possible (also, any profit we do make goes back to members in the form of lower interest rates, no-fee checking accounts and more). This philosophy frees up SECU staff to really get to know you. It’s the kind of treatment you just can’t get at a big bank.
2. SECU offers the best checking accounts in New Mexico. Because credit unions reinvest profits into better offers for their membership, we do offer superior accounts, like SECU’s Kasasa checking accounts. They are free checking accounts that have no or managing opening balances ($25) and give you cash rewards for simple tasks like using your debit card or signing in to their online banking portal. It might sound too good to be true, but I promise, Kasasa is a no-gimmick account. When it comes to communicating how much we appreciate our members’ business, SECU knows actions speak louder than words. Giving members tangible rewards is our way of saying “thank you.”
3. A lot can happen in a year, and you want low-interest, low-stress financing for life’s bigger moments. Buying a new home, refinancing your mortgage or purchasing a new vehicle can be taxing undertakings, if you work with a financial institution that only has personal profit in mind. SECU offers low-interest home, auto and personal loans because we want you to get the most for your money.
4. They are all over the state. SECU has branch locations in Albuquerque, Belen, Las Vegas, Los Lunas, Rio Rancho and Santa Fe. SECU is also part of a surcharge-free ATM network, which comprises more than 30,000 ATMs across the U.S. So no matter where you are, you will never again have to buy a pack of gum and request cash back just to avoid an ATM fee. You can also make deposits and more.
5. They are fully connected so you can bank from anywhere. There is a frequent misconception that because credit unions are smaller they are behind the times technologically, but not SECU! We know our members are busy folks, so we offer the complete online package: online banking, bill pay, credit card management and mobile banking. Members can check their balances, make transfers and pay bills from wherever they are.
If you have questions about SECU membership, call (800) 983-7328 or send an email via SECU’s contact page.